Friday, October 17, 2008

Some More African Experinces

The Coveted Cold Shower

When I first moved in to my little apartment in the Diocese of Iringa compound I only had cold water. It was not fun to take a shower! Then I complained to the mama (the lady that cleans all the apartments in DIRA) Well, about a week later we got hot water. It was perfect...for about four days. Now, the water is so hot it's impossible to stand under it!! On the slim chance that I do get to have a cold shower it's awesome!


Tuesday the Double Rat Day

Chrissy and I decided to go out for lunch because we both had the day off. It was the first president of Tanzania's birthday. We decided to go to E.J.S. Seafood. Which does not serve any seafood. They have some really good America, European, Italian, and African food. It's reasonable priced also! I ordered my favorite African dish of koko and wali (chicken and rice) and Chrissy ordered the same thing. We are sitting there enjoying our chi (tea) When 5 men haul a huge stove out to the porch. I'm watching them through the window. All of a sudden the look on all their faces let me know real quick what was going on. When they moved a table a rat appeared.

There were a couple men sitting outside eating and they all got up to chase after this mouse! it was like they appeared out of no where! Well, they chased the rat inside. Chrissy and I are just sitting there watching ten me trying to kill this rat. It was pretty funny. After that I was sitting there thinking....do I really want to keep coming here to eat. I decided why not. lol lol It has really good cheap food. Tanzania has a lot of rats and cockroaches. If I avoided everyplace I see them in I wold have no where to eat, not even in my own kitchen.

Later that night Chrissy and I were sitting outside our kitchen reading our books. Chrissy had but some water to boil on the stove for our chi and boiling eggs. It was dark and once again the light in teh kitchen would not work. It would just flicker. She went in there to add her eggs to the water and all of a sudden I hear her scream and see her bolt out of the kitchen. "What's going on" I asked? She told me that I rat had run over her foot. I didn't doubt her we had already caught one rat in our kitchen. She was so scared! Then the look of sheer horror crossed her face when she realized that she would have to go back in there and take her eggs off the burner. lol lol lol lol lol It was priceless!!

Well, we continue to read as Chrissy is trying to pull together she strength to go back in there. About 20 min later it was time. The eggs were ready. She runs to her room to grab a flashlight. She is almost shaking at this point. She slowly inches herself toward the door, flashlight on and in hand. She is just about to enter when I scream. I didn't see anything I just couldn't resist the urge. Chrissy jumps 3 feet in the air, screams bloody murder at the top if her lungs and bolts away from the kitchen. When She realizes what happens she is red with anger until her laughter breaks though. Never the less, she did gather enough courage to rescue her boiled eggs.
What made the situation even more hilarious is that an African woman walked by. It was dark, but I could still make out the confused look on her face. She was probably thinking what are these crazy wazungu (white people) doing? lol lol I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time!
So where ever you eat in Tanzania there is more than likely a mouse, rat or cockroach hiding so where. It doesn't really phase me anymore.
Otherwise, everything is going well! I haven't taught a class all week. Tuesday was the first president's birthday, Thursday and Friday classes were canceled because of graduation. So, this week I have bee going to the sokoni (market) almost everyday. I just wonder around, practice my Kiswahili, and visit some African friends.
My best friend Lindsey will be coming for a month over Christmas!! I have been trying to pull stuff together for us to do. I think it will be nice to explore more of Tanzania with her. I'm really excited about it. I also want to bring her to Wasa. I think that it is important to mot only stay in a somewhat big city like Iringa, but also stay some where in the bush.
My Paca (cat) Pepo (heaven) is doing well. She is so cute! I don't let he inside my misqueto net for fear that she wont be able to get out and will pee on me. She has resorted to sleeping as close to me as she possible can with the net in between us. Every day when I come home she runs to the door to greet me. She tried to eat and meow at the same time and it makes me crack up. Life is good here in Iringa, Tanzania!
How every thing is going good for all of you!!
JC




No comments: