Saturday, January 24, 2009

Our Three Christmas Miracles and The Haruma Center Part 3 & Are we really stuck? Thanks Linds!
























































Our Three Christmas Miracles and The Haruma Center Part 3
The next morning we went out for chipati once again. I just can’t get enough of it. Then we once again waited for Anni to call us so we would know the best time to go to the Haruma center. We still had a suitcase filled with yarn, knitting needles, and stiffed animals to give the orphans at the Haruma Center. We cleaned my apartment. It had gotten quite dirty with all the commotion. We also loaded all of Lindsey, and Frances’s pictured on my computer so that we would all have each others pictures. Finally Anni called and said that we should leave Dira and head to the center.
We took the suitcase and put it in the car. Frances wanted to come with us since she had come with the day before and she liked seeing the kids. We arrived at the center and there were a bunch of Tumaini students there. They had organized a fashion show so that all of the children could show off their new clothes and shoes. It was really cool to watch.
The fashion show went on for a while. There were about 15 students from Tumaini there. It was really cool because most of them were from Dar Es Salaam and they had decided that instead of going home for Christmas they would stay in Iringa and spend Christmas with the children. I thought that that was really unique and kind of them.
When it was time one of the students, his name is Alex, he called me to the stage and I wished everyone a Merry Christmas. They all looked so nice in their new shoes and clothes! I introduces myself once again and Lindsey. I reminded them that I was there the day before and that today I brought them Christmas presents from Fish Lake Lutheran. Alex was nice enough to interpret for me.
They were all really excited. First Linds and I pulled out the yarn and needles and told them that they could use it to make different things. I also showed them the books that had directions in them. (Annika tells me that two weeks after we gave them teh yarn they were out. They have mad themselves hats, and bags. I guess they didn't even need the books!) They were very excited about it. Then I pulled out the enormous bag of stuffed animals and their eyes widened. We had everyone come up, linds and I would pull out big handfuls of stuffed animals and they would pick out which one they wanted. They were all so greatful even though in American standards a lot of them were “too old” for stuffed animals. The rest of the time we were with they were clutching on to their stuffed animals. The only time they would loosen their grip was to show them off to the Tumaini students. It was pretty cute.
Then the Tumaini students gave them some candy and they all sat in their chairs griping their stuffed animals and eating their candy. After all of the festivities they had a little dance party. It was really cool. I found it a little comical because one of the songs they played over and over was this song from the African group P- square. The song is called I love the way you do me. Nobody seemed to care that they song was all about sex. But then again it was in English and most of the children don’t know English that well. So, I’m chalking it up to they liked the beat.
It was such a great day. It gave Linds and I a feeling of gratitude, gratitude to everyone at Fish Lake for donating their time and money. You really made these children’s Christmas some thing special. The gave me a card that I will have to share with all of you when I get home.
After everything was over and the children were about to sit and have dinner Linds, Frances and I left. They invited us to stay, but we didn’t want to take any of the food away from them. It was more important to us that they get to eat more.
We went back to Dira and then moved over to Felix and Yoshka’s house. They are some other German volunteers. They had left over food and so did we. We combined every thing and had dinner all together. It was fun, but being surrounded by Germans is not always a blast. They speak in German most of the time, so we just sat there and really weren’t included in the conversation. It was not as terrible as it usually is because instead of being just me Linds and Frances were there.
The three of us were really worn out and Frances was still recovering, so we left early. We also needed to pack for our trip to Ruaha the next day. We went back to dira, packed and Linds and I watched a movie on my lap top and relaxed.




Are we really stuck? Thanks Linds!

The next morning we had to get up early to fill the SUV up with gas. I borrowed a car from Tumaini University, basically so that Linds and I would not have to pay $200 a day for a driver. If you have read previously it was quite a chore to get a drivers license. But here we were with the car loaded and then we filled the tank and picked up our guide.
We were going to get a guide that could drive (Isa), but it didn’t work out because some other group had come into town and told Dennis that they would not go through his company unless he let them have Isa. Ya, I was a little frustrated. But it was ok because I had already been to Ruaha National Park twice, so it was really about Linds and Frances seeing everything. We were now on our way. The guide we got her name was Upendo (love). She is 24. She was really cool and kept telling me that I’m a great Tanzanian driver. In the situation it was a compliment, but most Tanzanian drivers are insane. Ya, ya, all I have to say is that I’m an aggressive driver…….It’s not my fault!............I take after my mother. LOL Bet you didn’t know that. Lol (Sorry ma, your busted)….
It was actually very cool! I like to drive in Tanzania ( as long as I can remember that they drive on the opposite side of the road). Sally Harris, who actually paid for the car and donated it to Tumaini told me that they key to staying on the correct side of the road, is to remember to keep your wife (front seat passenger) in the ditch.
What Upendo meant by telling me that I’m a good driver is that I’m really good at maneuvering around huge pot holes. There are so many on the roads around here. Often times if you are driving right it should feel like you are on the scrambler at the county fair. You weave back and forth darting around pot holes. It does not matter if you are on the correct side of the road or not, it’s all about saving your struts and shocks.
It was about a three hour drive. I was told by Dennis to take it slow, but the open road was too much. Dennis said that it should take about 4 hours. When we arrived early I looked over and told her not to tell Dennis that we had gotten there early.
Dennis and I have gotten close and he owns Tatanca tours. So, I have gotten somewhat close to his employees. Dennis sometimes acts like an older brother to me. I don’t even bother telling him when I’m going out with my friends for a beer because he gives me that look. You know that look. Like what are you thinking? Well, so one night I was out with some friends at the dance club and I ran in to Isa. We talked a little and I was like don’t tell Dennis I was here, and he said don’t tell Dennis I was here. Also, Linds and I went to the Tatanca office to talk to the girls and they asked what we would be doing for New Years and we said that we would probably go to Twisters (the dance club). I said, but don’t tell Dennis, and they all burst out laughing. So, his employees and I have a running joke. It’s pretty funny!
Anyways, we got there, Frances and Linds were in awe. As we were just about to enter the park there were two giraffes on the road right in front of us. It must have been so surreal for Linds and Frances. At first Frances was like are those real. It was like they were greeting all the people that came in. Very cool! The park does have such a beautiful landscape. It’s so much better in the rainy season. It’s so green a luscious! In the wet season though it’s harder to spot lions because they usually rest under bushes and they are harder to see when the bush is full of succulent green leaves. We got to our banda and we all laid down to have a nap. I was kind of worn out from driving and having to concentrate on billions of pot holes.
We got up from our nap and went on a late afternoon drive. We also decided to save money and use the Tumaini vehicle instead of paying like $150 per drive, and we had our own guide.
It was a nice afternoon. We saw twiga (giraffes) tembo (elephants), kudu, impalas, baboons, warthog, hippos, and some really cool birds. We were having a lot of fun. When we would spot something that was a ways off the road I would stop, Linds and Frances would crawl up on the roof and get good pictures. It was cool they could get a better view. It was also kind of funny because you could tell it made Upendo really nervous to have them on the roof. Lol We had been out about three hours when we stated to head back to the River Lodge. We came across another car and it was parked in the ditch. They told us that there were elephant up a head. They were just a car of workers at some camp probably heading home. So, I pulled in front of them and all of us (except Upendo) got on the roof to watch the elephants. There was a huge herd of elephants on either side of the road. Upendo said that we would have to wait till they were all on the same side of the road before we went by them. She was worried that if we drove through the middle it might upset the mothers or the bull elephant. We sat and watched the elephants in all their splendor. It was great. We waited and waited. It was really starting to get dark and guests are not supposed to be out after dark. Plus, dinner was at 8. We still waited it was about 7:45 and by now pretty dark. Finally the elephants were all on one side of the road and a little ways off of it.
I pulled forward slowly and followed the road. When all of a sudden an elephant pooped out from under a tree and was about 5 feet from the car. Upendo was like DRIVE FASTER. Lol lol Well, I threw the car in to 2nd gear and we were off. I really didn’t slow down the whole way back. It was pretty cool to be driving at night. We saw wild Tanzania at night. There were hippos on the road eating we watched a little but then we were on our way again. We got back about 15 min after they started to serve dinner. They were expecting us though, so there was plenty of food!
All in all it was a great first night on safari!

The next morning, which was the 27th of December, we got up early and ate breakfast. We also had the Ruaha River Lodge pack up our lunches. All meals are included with your stay, so you might as well have them pack up your food because you paid for it anyway.
We met up with Upendo and were off. We drove and drove watching intently for whatever might appear around the next corner. We once again saw a lot of animals, but we had yet to see a lion. I was really worn out from driving and I didn’t feel very well, so I let Linds drive. It didn’t really matter that she didn’t have a license because there are no police inside the park.
It had rained the night before and the ground in some places was still soaked. There were a number of puddles that we had to trudge through. I would just kick it in 4X and take on the puddles. Linds was a little nervous driving through the puddles.
Poor Frances hadn’t felt good all day, but she still decided to come with. I think that the problem was when she went to the doctor he gave her a lot of pills and she didn’t take them. So, she really wasn’t getting better.
Well, we were all getting restless because we wanted to see a lion. We were on this stretch of trail that was along side the Ruaha river and the road was waterlogged. We stopped right before a huge puddle and linds kicked it in 4X and we surged forward. The mud that was actually clay brought the wheels to a standstill. Then Linds looks back at me and said ok Jenni. Meaning ok you know more about getting out of these situations than I do. So, I hopped behind the wheel. Linds and Upendo had gotten out also looking at the wheels. Ya, we were pretty stuck. Then I started the car and began to rock it back and forth. Well, it didn’t work. We were really really stuck! Upendo wanted to find branches and put them under the wheels, but they just sank in the clay. After we had surveyed the mess and tried a couple of things we decided to give up and got back in the car. Upendo called one of the other guides to tell him to call the lodge and tell them that we would need help.
We knew that we would be there for a while, so we decided to sit and eat our lunch. We ate and waited for help to come when out of nowhere a car comes toward us from the front. We get out, to talk to him he asked if we had a tow rope. Linds and I ripped apart the back of the SUV and finally found one. We hooked up our car and his o the rope and he put his car in reverse and pulled. We did get out and thanked him and he was off. We then continued on our way. It was really nice because when we drove ahead a little there must have been 20 giraffes. Pretty cool!
Well we drove and drove. Linds decided that she wanted me to drive and I was feeling better, so I took the wheel. Now, let me say that the road signs in Ruaha national park are not all that good. Well we came up to a three way and I just went where Upendo told me to. We ended going on a trail that had definitely not been used in like two years. There was barely any trail to follow. I wasn’t even going to pretend that I knew where we were or how to get out so I just lisened obediently to Upendo. We drove and drove.
Mostly we all just enjoyed the scenery. Then Linds is like “Upendo what are those black and blue flags hanging on the trees?” She replied “Oh we are in titsy fly area. Those flags soaked in poison and then hung and they attract the titsy fly and then the land on the flag and die”. Well, Linds didn’t hear anything but “Oh we are in the titsy fly area”, then she realizes that all of these insects that are all around her in the car are in fact titsy flys. She grabs a napkin form the boxed lunch and starts goes on a rampage, killing anything and everything in a 3 foot radius around her. Titsy flies carry the parisites that infect you with sleeping sickness. You get really tired, sleep and sleep until eventually you go into a coma and die (if not treated) We found out later that Linds didn’t know that there was a cure for sleeping sickness. She really thought that she would get bitten slip into a coma and die, which explained her killing spree. Lol lol lol To make things worse it is apparent now that Upendo has know idea where we are or where we are going. She had brought us in a circle. None of us wanted to be rude, but we were like “didn’t we just see that tree”?
Sure enough we were going back the same way that we had come. We were all certain of it when we reached the puddle that we had gotten stuck in. I stopped threw the car in reverse and took the puddle as fast as I could and the next thing know we are through the puddle and Upendo is yelling at me to stop. Not 10 feet from where we were stuck was a female lion. I wonder if she was there when we were stuck. We were out of the car for a long time. Well she was only 5 feet off the trail and we got some really good pictures. She just laid there for a while and relaxed. Then all of a sudden she got this look on her face and she was up and started to walk around. Upendo said that she went off hunting. It was such an experience!
We headed back to the lodge a while later and relaxed. We had decided not to go out for another evening drive since we had seen a lot already and Frances was sick. She hadn’t really eaten much of her lunch and she felt really weak. She hadn’t eaten a lot since she arrived in Tanzania on the same plane as Linds. She didn’t seem to understand that the climate change, the drugs she was on and just life over here almost requires you to eat three meals a day. Even if you are not sick and you skip a meal you may get weak. We had decided that night that the next day we would not go out on a drive in the morning, but we would go back to Iringa early and take her to the doctor.
We just relaxed that night and watched The Dark Knight on my lap top. We found that it helped Frances keep her mind off of how sick she felt.
The next day we made the journey back to Iringa.

No comments: